Hi and welcome to "A Cup of OJ"! This blog is so all of the friends and family of OJ Alexander and keep up to date through his fight against lung cancer. Thank you for stopping by and showing your support for him!

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Jinxing Shminxing

Hi! It seems like forever since I have updated the good ol' blog! I hope everyone is enjoying the start to spring, with the exception of the last few days here in Phoenix, I can say I am in love with this weather and would fully support if it stayed in the 80's until next year!

Well since the last chemo Dad has been doing great! As with the first chemo, Dad had a steroid high the first three days followed by two "hangover" days. All in all, Dad has shown the chemo whose boss and we couldn't be more proud!
Mr. Crance and Dad!

Before Uncle John left us last time, we were able to our neighbors' going away party. It was a ton of fun and great to see everyone in "the hood"! (Mike & Suzie- it is already weird without you here!)

Dad and Uncle John at The Crance's going away party!

When I was at work last week I came up to greet one of my table's and one of the women asked my name. When I told her, it turned out to be my parents' friend and co-worker Nancy Beets! I have heard her name for years so it was great to finally meet her and her sister. Such a small world since they were going to a party she was hosting the following Sunday!
Dad and Nancy
Dad, Cindy, and Nancy



Well today Dad and I went back to Dr. Siever's office (the pulmonologist) for a check up, and he made sure to tell me where to go so I didn't take us on a 20 minute scenic tour like last time :) They first took his vitals which were all perfect, and no weight loss! Then he had to do the "breathing test" which Dad says is the worst test in the world...and after watching I think I might agree.
(I don't think he knows I took this... I'm sneaky like that)
They have to breathe into the device like you see above and it measures their lung capacity and other exciting things like that. WELL, let me just tell you that not only did Dad beat each previous attempt (they do 3) but he also improved his "score" by almost DOUBLE from last month! It was so exciting and was just the beginning to a great appointment!

When we met with Dr. Siever Dad filled him in on everything new with MD Anderson and how he has been feeling the last month since we've seen him. Dr. Siever was thrilled to hear everything has been going well and that Dad has been feeling great. After Dr. Siever listened to Dad's lungs he said that he didn't need to do an X-Ray to know that Dad is responding to the chemo and the tumor has shrunk. I am still getting goosebumps replaying it in my head. We all had the conversation that it IS ok to say you are feeling better and to say you think the chemo is working without "jinxing it". That's HOPE! Dad said he can just tell it is working, and it has been the first time since November that he can lay on his back with NO cough, and can sleep comfortably.

God is working in amazing ways and thank you everyone who has been keeping Dad constantly in your thoughts and prayers. Today was a great testament of the power of faith, prayer, and the miracles medicine can provide. I know we didn't get "proof", but sometimes all you need is a little faith.

Next week we meet with Dr. K (chemo doctor) on Wednesday and then chemo #3 on Thursday... 

BRING. IT. ON. Have a great week!

4 comments:

Katie D said...

So thrilled things are going so well. =] your dad is such a trooper! Go OJ!!

Michelle Lefler said...

He looks terrific, so glad he is doing well. Am praying daily.

Paula said...

Praise God! I am doing my happy dance, OJ, and will keep the prayers coming :)

Anonymous said...

It was great spending time with you yesterday, Soooo happy that all is going so well and you are surrounded by such a wonderful team. My offer stands if anyone wants a break, I am only a mile away. Mo