Hi and welcome to "A Cup of OJ"! This blog is so all of the friends and family of OJ Alexander and keep up to date through his fight against lung cancer. Thank you for stopping by and showing your support for him!

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Two Down, Two To Go!


Hello! Hope everyone has enjoyed their week! Since I last wrote not too much has happened in between....Dad has felt spectacular and spent the last few days vegging out and hanging out with his friends They all went to a baseball game Monday and had great seats:
View from their seats
Dad and Dave Kinzer
Jamie Cunningham and Dad after the game
John, Dad, and Dave after the game
Uncle John flew in yesterday, always wonderful to have him in town! The two of them braved the cold wind yesterday afternoon to play golf and were still a pair of ice cubes when they came to visit me at work!

Today was Dad's second round of chemo, but first one at MD Anderson! Dad, Uncle John, one of my very best girlfriends Jess, and I got to MD bright and early for Dad's pre-chemo labs. There was a ton of people waiting for labs as well so we stood behind the crowded waiting room and made a bunch of commotion and laughter. Dad also tied his ribbon on the Hope Tree!
Dad and Jess (who made the shirt)

:)

Bro Power
Dad tying his white ribbon on the Hope Tree
The two coins Dad was given from Miss Chris and Paula (thank you for the thoughtful gifts!!!!)

While waiting I took some paperwork over to the "financial lady" and was amazed that she not only remembered my name but was able to share so much about her little time spent with my Dad...names, stories, situations... the whole nine yards! It put a huge smile on my face knowing that the employees are not just there for a paycheck but are passionate about their work and their patients. After labs we were cleared for the third floor and you know what that means...it was puzzle time!
Just kidding...as much as I love those puzzles that was obviously not the reason we were there! They first took Dad and I back to get set up with his IV before they brought the rest of "Team OJ" back. Beth was our nurse for the day and she was great...except she had a little trouble getting the needle in Dad's vein (even though he has perfect veins!). I almost vommited watching the needle go in, out, left, right in his vein...I could have just turned away but it was honestly like when someone tells you not to watch but you can't stop out of pure curiosity. Note to self...no more IV's in Dad's hand, stick to the arm.

Well today felt like flying first class (not that I would know, surprisingly enough). The nurse that took us back gave Dad the biggest cubicle right next to the window and there were staff waiting at our hands and feet! Coffee (which Dad really enjoyed), beverages, lunch for Dad, TV, and of course comfy chairs.
 

Watchin the tube
Largest sandwich ever














It was a long day of chemo, 8 hours to be exact, but Dad was a CHAMP! He started with his magnesium and steroid bags, moved through the three different chemo bags, and finished with the post-hydration bag. Everything went smoothly, except when the Avastin (the new chemo drug) was on drip it hurt a little when it went in his vein.

I was telling my Dad how Jess was boarding her flight and couldn't stop picturing the pilots watching movies and playing angry birds (per an earlier convo we all had)while they are "flying" the plane and Ed, the husband of the couple next to us, asked me if I was telling a pilot joke. I told him that Dad was a pilot for Southwest and his face completely dropped and he walked right over to our cubicle. Turns out he was a head mechanic for Southwest, retired two years ago, and both him and Dad agreed that the other looked familiar. 

As I listened to them talk about their common friends from work and share stories I had to stuff my face with a macadamia nut cookie to keep myself from crying because it was so cool seeing this guy just light up talking to Dad. It just reminded me how many lives Dad has touched and continues to touch on a daily basis (the nurses LOVE him...obviously). I know I talk about this every blog post I am sure, but knowing there are so many people praying and offering their support for my dad is such a blessing. Not only does Dad have an amazing support system, a lucky shirt, and lucky coins...but he also has God working for him and through him every day and today was just one of the many examples how. I hope everyone has a safe and wonderful weekend, spend it with the ones you love!  

 The Lord gives his people strength. The Lord blesses them with peace. Psalm 29:11


4 comments:

LouAnn said...

As always Layne, you have done a beautiful job in sharing dad's journey! What a blessed man he is to have you and Kristen for daughters, his biological family supporting him all the way, and his Southwest Family surrounding him with LUV, Congratulations on being half way there OJ!!!!! Keep the faith and show us how it's done!
xoxo
LA

suzanne gagnon said...

Layne...I love how much you love your Dad by doing this blog...it warms my heart to hear his story be told by you...I miss my father every day and when I read this, it reminds of me of all the great memories of my father. Hang in there and keep the faith as it will help you stay strong...

Suzanne Gagnon
PHX FA

Paula said...

Another wonderful and well written post, Layne! It is so nice to be "in the loop" about OJ's treatment but you are also educating those of us that haven't had a lot of experience with cancer. (For which we are very grateful) God is good and He will get you through this! Love to the Alexander family.....

Cynthia said...

Just read these last two posts and I am THRILLED you are at MD Anderson and that you have better medical care and support from your medical team! You are a warrior and LUVd by all. Sending positive thoughts and prayers always! LUV, Cynthia